- And God spake all these words, saying,
And the Lord spoke all of these to Moses,
- I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
I am the Lord your God who brought you out from Egypt, from bondage.
- Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
I must be your only God. No one but me.
- Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Do not make an image for yourself (first mention of image was when Rachel stole Laban’s images -and it referred to gods) in the likeness of anything above (birds, Angels, whatsoever) things below or things in the water of any kind. It is still kind of similar to having no other God.
- thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
You will not bow to them (the images) or serve them, …if you don’t know, I’ll tell you now, I am a Jealous God and I can take the wickedness of a father and pay it back to his children, even unto the great grandchildren that hate me.
- and showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
And I show mercy to the thousands of people that love me and my commandments.
- Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
Don’t take the name of the Lord your God in vain. For it is not a vain name. Don’t misuse it. If you do, trust me, you won’t be free of guilt. Control your tongue regarding the things of the Lord.
- Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy (a day that no work should be done. No sexual relations or anything. It is a day of rest.)
- Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:
- but the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God : in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Do all the work you need to do within 6 days, but on the 7th day nobody is to do any work, not even a maid or cattle, not even strangers.
- for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
This is so because the Lord made the heavens and the earth in 6 days and everything within them.
And he rested on the seventh day, and for that reason, he blessed it and exalted it and it was sanctified and made holy.
- Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
Honour your father and your mother so that your days will be long on the land the Lord will give you.
- Thou shalt not kill.
Do not kill (do not take life. And it is not referring to sacrifices of animals. But humans).
- Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Do not commit adultery (this is sexual intercourse by a married person with someone else (other than his spouse)-regardless of the marital status of the other person). Adultery here could also relate to things of God, do not be in God and go chasing after other gods
- Thou shalt not steal.
Do not steal
- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Do not bear false witness against your neighbour, (similar to telling a lie. But don’t lie against anyone. Saying he did it…whereas, he didn’t)
- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbor’s.
Don’t covet anything that is for anyone else (be content with what you have…don’t want someone else’s property or wife or someone’s life)
- And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.
And the people (Israel) at the base of the mountain saw thundering and lightening, the mountain smoking and they heard the sound of the trumpet, so they withdrew and went backwards.
- And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.
This was before God said all he said to Moses above…from vs .1 – 18
They said unto Moses, you should speak to us, but don’t let God speak to us, so we do not perish,
- And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.
Moses said unto them… Don’t be scared… God wants to show Himself, so you will not sin. You know what he is capable of.
- And the people stood afar off, and Moses drew near unto the thick darkness where God was.
Then Moses went into the thick darkness and spoke with God and God gave him the instructions above.
- And the Lord said unto Moses, Thus thou shalt say unto the children of Israel, Ye have seen that I have talked with you from heaven.
And the Lord said to Moses, tell the people that they have seen that truly I have spoken to you straight from heaven.
- Ye shall not make with me gods of silver, neither shall ye make unto you gods of gold.
Don’t make gods of silver or gold. (Images)…don’t even make them, and put them by where you worship me and say you worship me.
- An altar of earth thou shalt make unto me, and shalt sacrifice thereon thy burnt offerings, and thy peace offerings, thy sheep, and thine oxen: in all places where I record my name I will come unto thee, and I will bless thee.
If you want to make anything to/for me, make an altar of earth (sand/dust/clay) and sacrifice and make burnt offerings and peace offerings to me on it.
And everywhere I’ve put my name, I will come there and bless you.
- And if thou wilt make me an altar of stone, thou shalt not build it of hewn stone: for if thou lift up thy tool upon it, thou hast polluted it.
If you will build me an altar of stone, don’t use stone that has been cut down. If you go and cut stone or rock from a mountain or whatsoever, you have defiled the stone.
- Neither shalt thou go up by steps unto mine altar, that thy nakedness be not discovered thereon.
Don’t climb steps to My altar…if you do, you will be naked. It will expose your nakedness.