- And Israel took his journey with all that he had, and came to Beer-sheba, and offered sacrifices unto the God of his father Isaac.
Then Israel packed up all that he had, and first went to Beersheba and made a sacrifice unto God.
- And God spake unto Israel in the visions of the night, and said, Jacob, Jacob. And he said, Here am I.
- And he said, I am God, the God of thy father: fear not to go down into Egypt; for I will there make of thee a great nation.
And God spoke unto him in a vision in the night, calling his name, saying; do not be afraid to go DOWN into Egypt. Because even in that land, I will make you a great nation.
- I will go down with thee into Egypt; and I will also surely bring thee up again: and Joseph shall put his hand upon thine eyes.
I will go DOWN there with you, and bring you UP (out) again, and Joseph will bury you.
- And Jacob rose up from Beer-sheba: and the sons of Israel carried Jacob their father, and their little ones, and their wives, in the wagons which Pharaoh had sent to carry him.
- And they took their cattle, and their goods, which they had gotten in the land of Canaan, and came into Egypt, Jacob, and all his seed with him
- his sons, and his sons’ sons with him, his daughters, and his sons’ daughters, and all his seed brought he with him into Egypt.
And Israel left Beersheba, with his sons and their children and all that they had and hey came into Egypt.
- And these are the names of the children of Israel, which came into Egypt, Jacob and his sons: Reuben, Jacob’s firstborn.
- And the sons of Reuben; Hanoch, and Phallu, and Hezron, and Carmi.
- And the sons of Simeon; Jemuel, and Jamin, and Ohad, and Jachin, and Zohar, and Shaul the son of a Canaanitish woman.
- And the sons of Levi; Gershon, Kohath, and Merari.
- And the sons of Judah; Er, and Onan, and Shelah, and Pharez, and Zarah: but Er and Onan died in the land of Canaan. And the sons of Pharez were Hezron and Hamul.
- And the sons of Issachar; Tola, and Phuvah, and Job, and Shimron.
- And the sons of Zebulun; Sered, and Elon, and Jahleel.
- These be the sons of Leah, which she bare unto Jacob in Padan-aram, with his daughter Dinah: all the souls of his sons and his daughters were thirty and three.
All the Children of Leah amounted to 33
- And the sons of Gad; Ziphion, and Haggi, Shuni, and Ezbon, Eri, and Arodi, and Areli.
- And the sons of Asher; Jimnah, and Ishuah, and Isui, and Beriah, and Serah their sister: and the sons of Beriah; Heber, and Malchiel.
- These are the sons of Zilpah, whom Laban gave to Leah his daughter; and these she bare unto Jacob, even sixteen souls.
And the children of zilpah amounted to 16
- The sons of Rachel Jacob’s wife; Joseph, and Benjamin.
- And unto Joseph in the land of Egypt were born Manasseh and Ephraim, which Asenath the daughter of Potipherah priest of On bare unto him.
- And the sons of Benjamin were Belah, and Becher, and Ashbel, Gera, and Naaman, Ehi, and Rosh, Muppim, and Huppim, and Ard.
Well, since Israel would not just let Benjamin wander off, he kept himself busy at home by making 10 children.
- These are the sons of Rachel, which were born to Jacob: all the souls were fourteen.
The sons of Rachel amounted to 14.
- And the sons of Dan; Hushim.
- And the sons of Naphtali; Jahzeel, and Guni, and Jezer, and Shillem.
- These are the sons of Bilhah, which Laban gave unto Rachel his daughter, and she bare these unto Jacob: all the souls were seven.
The sons of Bilhah amounted to 7
- All the souls that came with Jacob into Egypt, which came out of his loins, besides Jacob’s sons’ wives, all the souls were threescore and six;
And 66 people excluding Israels sons wives came into Egypt with Israel.
- and the sons of Joseph, which were borne him in Egypt, were two souls: all the souls of the house of Jacob, which came into Egypt, were threescore and ten.
And Joseph had two sons, so the family of Israel in Egypt were 70 (still excluding his sons wives) 70 (33+14+16+7) Excluding Israel himself
- And he sent Judah before him unto Joseph, to direct his face unto Goshen; and they came into the land of Goshen.
And they sent Judah up front, that he may lead them to Goshen
- And Joseph made ready his chariot, and went up to meet Israel his father, to Goshen, and presented himself unto him; and he fell on his neck, and wept on his neck a good while.
And Joseph got his chariot and went to meet his father in Goshen and hugged him and cried upon him for quite a long time.
- And Israel said unto Joseph, Now let me die, since I have seen thy face, because thou art yet alive.
Israel then said…let me die. Since I have seen your face and you are alive.
- And Joseph said unto his brethren, and unto his father’s house, I will go up, and show Pharaoh, and say unto him, My brethren, and my father’s house, which were in the land of Canaan, are come unto me;
And Joseph told them to Hang on, that he would present them before pharaoh.
- and the men are shepherds, for their trade hath been to feed cattle; and they have brought their flocks, and their herds, and all that they have.
And they are cattle rearers, so they brought their cattle.
- And it shall come to pass, when Pharaoh shall call you, and shall say, What is your occupation?
- That ye shall say, Thy servants’ trade hath been about cattle from our youth even until now, both we, and also our fathers: that ye may dwell in the land of Goshen; for every shepherd is an abomination unto the Egyptians.
And when pharaoh calls you and asks what you do, you will say that you rear cattle. That way, you will get to stay in Goshen, because shepherds are abominations unto the Egyptians.