- And it came to pass at that time, that Judah went down from his brethren, and turned in to a certain Adullamite, whose name was Hirah.
And about that time, Judah went DOWN and stayed with Hirah.
- And Judah saw there a daughter of a certain Canaanite, whose name was Shuah; and he took her, and went in unto her.
And in his house, he met a Canaanites daughter, and he took her (married) and had sexual relations with her. (He had gone against the blood line)
- And she conceived, and bare a son; and he called his name Er.
- And she conceived again, and bare a son; and she called his name Onan.
- And she yet again conceived, and bare a son; and called his name Shelah: and he was at Chezib, when she bare him.
And she bore him Er, Onan and Shelah
- And Judah took a wife for Er his firstborn, whose name was Tamar.
Judah then got Er a wife named Tamar.
- And Er, Judah’s firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the Lord; and the Lord slew him.
But God considered Er wicked, and God took his life (I mean, who gave it in the first place…he simply took the life He gave him). Who said God cannot take lives? 😏😏
- And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother’s wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother.
Judah then told Onan, Er’s brother, have sexual relations with Er’s wife, since he his dead, so he can have children through you.
This was so there can be at least a child to take the inheritance. And to prevent the line from ending there. (I’m guessing it was a normal practice since maids were even asked to bare children for their owners)
- And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother’s wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother
But then Onan wasn’t ready to have kids that weren’t his. So whenever he had sexual relations with Tamar, he would pull out and spill the semen/spermatozoa on the ground to prevent there being any child.
- And the thing which he did displeased the Lord: wherefore he slew him also.
And what he did was not pleasing to the eye of God. I mean, why agree to go in unto her if you would spill. It’s better he refuses. And God took his life as well.
- Then said Judah to Tamar his daughter-in-law, Remain a widow at thy father’s house, till Shelah my son be grown: for he said, Lest peradventure he die also, as his brethren did. And Tamar went and dwelt in her father’s house.
Then Judah told Tamar, stay as a widow, let my last born Shelah grow up, then you can have kids by him. But for now, go to your father’s house and live, (so he doesn’t get to die -he thought). And she left.
- And in process of time the daughter of Shuah Judah’s wife died ; and Judah was comforted, and went up unto his sheepshearers to Timnath, he and his friend Hirah the Adullamite.
After a while, Judah’s wife died. But Judah was comforted. But then he and his friend Hirah went to Timnah to see the men who sheer his sheep.
- And it was told Tamar, saying, Behold, thy father-in-law goeth up to Timnath to shear his sheep.
And Tamar heard of this.
- And she put her widow’s garments off from her, and covered her with a veil, and wrapped herself, and sat in an open place, which is by the way to Timnath; for she saw that Shelah was grown, and she was not given unto him to wife.
And by this time, Tamar was grown, but Judah had not fulfilled his words. Shelah didn’t marry her, so she took of her widow garments, and simply covered herself with a veil and sat in an open place that is on the way to Timnah.
- When Judah saw her, he thought her to be a harlot; because she had covered her face.
And when Judah saw her, he assumed she was a prostitute because that was how prostitutes then dressed. That you may not recognize them later.
- And he turned unto her by the way, and said, Go to, I pray thee, let me come in unto thee; (for he knew not that she was his daughter-in-law: ) and she said, What wilt thou give me, that thou mayest come in unto me?
And he asked her that he may have sexual relations with her. He didn’t recognize her. And well, she behaved like a prostitute and asked…what will you give me? What’s your pay for you to have sexual relations with me?
(for her to have known this would work, she must have known Judah very well enough and that it is a habit of him to go in unto prostitutes even when his wife was alive)
- And he said, I will send thee a kid from the flock. And she said, Wilt thou give me a pledge, till thou send it?
And he said he will give her one kid goat. What a pay😒. And she said…will you give me a pledge till you send it?…more like a collateral.
- And he said, What pledge shall I give thee? And she said, Thy signet, and thy bracelets, and thy staff that is in thine hand. And he gave it her, and came in unto her, and she conceived by him.
And she said…your signet, bracelet and staff. (Your seal and its cord) And he gave her, and had sexual relations with her, and she got pregnant that very time.
- And she arose, and went away, and laid by her veil from her, and put on the garments of her widowhood.
And she got up and left him there without his knowledge.
- And Judah sent the kid by the hand of his friend the Adullamite, to receive his pledge from the woman’s hand: but he found her not.
And Judah then sent the kid goat through his friend….that he may retrieve his collateral….and she wasn’t found.
- Then he asked the men of that place, saying, Where is the harlot, that was openly by the wayside? And they said, There was no harlot in this place.
Then he asked people around where the harlot by the road side was….but they all said there was none. No harlot stays there.
- And he returned to Judah, and said, I cannot find her; and also the men of the place said, that there was no harlot in this place.
- And Judah said, Let her take it to her, lest we be shamed: behold, I sent this kid, and thou hast not found her.
And Judah said…well…let her keep the collateral. So we do not become ashamed. And well…I did fulfil my part by sending the goat, but she was not found.
- And it came to pass about three months after, that it was told Judah, saying, Tamar thy daughter-in-law hath played the harlot; and also, behold, she is with child by whoredom. And Judah said, Bring her forth, and let her be burnt.
And three months after that, it became obvious that Tamar was pregnant, and everyone knew she had no husband and was a widow so they knew the only way this would have happened would be if she became a harlot. So, Judah was told that she was pregnant by being a prostitute and Judah said she should be burnt.
- When she was brought forth she sent to her father-in-law, saying, By the man, whose these are, am I with child: and she said, Discern, I pray thee, whose are these, the signet, and bracelets, and staff
When she was brought forth to be burnt, she sent a message to Judah saying ‘the man that has these is responsible’ and behold it was the staff, bracelet and signet.
- And Judah acknowledged them, and said, She hath been more righteous than I; because that I gave her not to Shelah my son. And he knew her again no more.
And Judah said…she is more righteous than I. Because I didn’t give her to Shelah.
- And it came to pass in the time of her travail, that, behold, twins were in her womb.
When the time of childbirth came, twins were in her.
- And it came to pass, when she travailed, that the one put out his hand: and the midwife took and bound upon his hand a scarlet thread, saying, This came out first.
Then one child stretched his hand forth out of the womb and the midwives quickly tied a red thread and said…he came out first.
- And it came to pass, as he drew back his hand, that, behold, his brother came out: and she said, How hast thou broken forth? this breach be upon thee: therefore his name was called Pharez
And his hand went back in, but his brother came out first. How did you come out? This breach is upon you. And he was called ‘breach/breaking out’ – Pharez
- And afterward came out his brother, that had the scarlet thread upon his hand: and his name was called Zarah.
And the brother with the thread then came out, and was called zarah. (Scarlet/brightness)