- And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.
God whaaaaat …’tempted’ Abraham and called his name, and Abraham responded, here I am.
God can actually be really funny sometimes uno.
- And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah ; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.
Then he said 😂take your son, that one you waited for, for so long, that you love, take him to Moriah and offer him as burnt sacrifice. Literally, kill and burn your son for me. (he was reminding Abraham of how much Isaac meant to him)
- And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him.
And early the next morning, Abraham put his saddle on his donkey, took two of his servants and Isaac, along with the wood for burnt offering.
- Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off.
After journeying for 3 days, Abraham saw the place from a distance.
- And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.
He then told his two boys to stay back, that he and Isaac were going to worship.
Now what is worship? From what Abraham is saying here, worship is surrendering all that you wanted (which you might now have), and yourself, no matter how long it took you to get it, -to God without delay or thoughts of any kind.
- And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together.
Then Abraham took the wood, put it on Isaac, took the fire and took the knife. I mean, God gave him to me. How bad is it if he would take him away? He can bring much more and if I don’t give, he can take him away in his own way.
- And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?
Isaac called into his father and said…I see the wood, and the fire (but not the knife), where is the lamb?
- And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.
And Abraham said. God will provide a (worthy) lamb.
- And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood.
- And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son.
They got to the place, Abraham built an altar, laid the wood, bound Isaac, laid him on the wood, brought out the knife to chook Isaac once and for all.
- And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.
And ‘the’ Angel of the lord called him from heaven that ah ah Abraham, Abraham. Ah Ahn
(I should have made it ‘somebody cannot tempt you again’)
- And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou anything unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son, from me.
Don’t do anything to that boy o. But now I see that you fear God. ‘You did not withhold your son from me’ that part was spoken by God.
- And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.
And Abraham looked and saw a ram. God had provided. Abraham took the ram and offered it as a burnt sacrifice
- And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah-jireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the Lord it shall be seen.
And Abraham named the place ‘jehova Jireh….Meaning God Provides (and it became a saying that ‘in the mountain of the lord, it shall be seen or the lord will provide’).
- And the angel of the Lord called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time,
- and said, By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son,
- that in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the seashore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;
- And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.
And the Angel of God called Abraham again and said God swore on Himself, that because you have done this thing -not withholding your son,
Those blessings were said…
(God swore on Himself because there’s no one greater. When you swear normally, you use yourself, father or mother or something above you, never below.)
- So Abraham returned unto his young men, and they rose up and went together to Beer-sheba; and Abraham dwelt at Beer-sheba.
- And it came to pass after these things, that it was told Abraham, saying, Behold, Milcah, she hath also borne children unto thy brother Nahor;
- Huz his firstborn, and Buz his brother, and Kemuel the father of Aram,
- And Chesed, and Hazo, and Pildash, and Jidlaph, and Bethuel.
- And Bethuel begat Rebekah: these eight Milcah did bear to Nahor, Abraham’s brother.
- And his concubine, whose name was Reumah, she bare also Tebah, and Gaham, and Thahash, and Maachah.
The tree continues….below