- And Abraham journeyed from thence toward the south country, and dwelt between Kadesh and Shur, and sojourned in Gerar.
Abraham finally left Mamre to Gerar
- And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, she is my sister: and Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah.
And Abraham -once again- on getting to Gerar told them Sarah is his wife, and the king took her (just a pharaoh did).
- But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man’s wife.
And God told Abimelech in his dream that he is already a dead man for taking another mans wife (tho’ in ignorance). Unlike pharaoh who suffered without warning
- But Abimelech had not come near her: and he said, Lord, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation?
But Abimelech had not had sexual relations with her, and he asked ‘God, would you also kill a righteous nation? (Would you also…they must have known God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, but because of unrighteousness)
- Said he not unto me, She is my sister? And she, even she herself said, He is my brother: in the integrity of my heart and innocency of my hands have I done this.
He told me ‘she is my sister’, and she told me ‘he is my brother’ and in the integrity of my heart and innocence of my hands, I took her.
- And God said unto him in a dream, Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; for I also withheld thee from sinning against me: therefore suffered I thee not to touch her.
God said ‘yeah yeah, I know you did this in the integrity of your heart, that is why I withheld you from sinning against me and I prevented you from having sexual relations with her (the joy of being with the Lord is amazing. He prevented Abimelech from sinning because Abimelech was with Him and he had no idea he was about to sin).
- Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet, and he shall pray for thee, and thou shalt live: and if thou restore her not, know thou that thou shalt surely die, thou, and all that are thine.
Restore his wife for he is a prophet (Prophet Abraham😂) first mention of prophet.
So what/who is a prophet? Well Abraham saw the lord, interceded for Sodom, followed instruction, spoke with the Lord, Had dreams, saw angels…tons of things etc…and he will pray for you and you will live. (Remember he was told that he’s a dead man), so he needs the prayer to prevent him from actually dying. But if you don’t return her, you and all that is yours will die.
- Therefore Abimelech rose early in the morning, and called all his servants, and told all these things in their ears: and the men were sore afraid.
In the morning like this, without wasting any time, Abimelech called his servants and informed them of the situation and fear gripped them.
- Then Abimelech called Abraham, and said unto him, what hast thou done unto us? And what have I offended thee, that thou hast brought on me and on my kingdom a great sin? thou hast done deeds unto me that ought not to be done.
And Abimelech called Abraham. Why, just why would you do this to us? (I mean, Abimelech was a righteous man and he wouldn’t have taken Sarah by force if he knew). Have I done anything to offend you that you brought a great sin upon us like this? You did what is never supposed to be done.
- And Abimelech said unto Abraham, What sawest thou, that thou hast done this thing?
What did you see that made you do this thing? Surely there nust be a (good) reason
- And Abraham said, Because I thought, Surely the fear of God is not in this place; and they will slay me for my wife’s sake.
I thought the fear of God wasn’t here and that for that reason I would be killed that you may have my wife.
- And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.
But in actual fact, she is my sister from my father but not my mother (Terah had sexual relations with more than one woman…and so did Abraham…and lot…how life works) (but still see what Abraham is saying…trying to say he didn’t lie per se)
- And it came to pass, when God caused me to wander from my father’s house, that I said unto her, This is thy kindness which thou shalt show unto me ; at every place whither we shall come, say of me, He is my brother.
And we have agreed since the point when God told me to leave my father’s house, that wherever we go, she will say she is my sister.
- And Abimelech took sheep, and oxen, and menservants, and womenservants, and gave them unto Abraham, and restored him Sarah his wife.
Then Abimelech gave Abe oxen, sheep, menservants, maidservants and Sarah.
- And Abimelech said, Behold, my land is before thee: dwell where it pleaseth thee.
Well, this is my land. Look round and stay wherever you want to stay.
- And unto Sarah he said, Behold, I have given thy brother a thousand pieces of silver: behold, he is to thee a covering of the eyes, unto all that are with thee, and with all other: thus she was reproved.
And Abimelech told Sarah he has given Abraham 1000pieces of silver and that it is compensation to silence criticism against her. It is to prove that she was innocent.(He did it before everybody) -Now, you are vindicated/cleared and free of guilt.
- So Abraham prayed unto God: and God healed Abimelech, and his wife, and his maidservants; and they bare children.
- For the Lord had fast closed up all the wombs of the house of Abimelech, because of Sarah, Abraham’s wife.
Then Abraham prayer for Abimelech and God healed him, his wife and maidservants (because they all became barren the moment Sarah was taken into the house) and they had children. Sarah was -at the time- barren and because she was taken into the house, everyone else was as well barren.