- And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them ; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground;
In the evening, two angels (the two men who left Abraham) came to Sodom and Lot was sitting at the gate of Sodom and on seeing them, he ran to them. HE RECOGNISED. And bowed himself to them (he did not bow to them because they are angels but because of whose message/instruction they carry – that of the Lord).
- and he said, Behold now, my lords, turn in, I pray you, into your servant’s house, and tarry all night, and wash your feet, and ye shall rise up early, and go on your ways. And they said, Nay; but we will abide in the street all night.
My LORDS – Unlike the case of Abraham who used ‘Lord’ – because the Lord was there. And Lot offered up his house for them to stay in and for their feet to be washed –because of the journey they had embarked upon, but they said they would stay in the street all night.
- And he pressed upon them greatly; and they turned in unto him, and entered into his house; and he made them a feast, and did bake unleavened bread, and they did eat.
But he kept telling them to come in (how can my lords come and decide to stay in the streets all night when I have a place). Then they came in and he made them a quick feast (unleavened bread) and as If the whole calf+bread+possible butter and milk they ate at Abrahams was not enough, they still ate from lot (Maybe if your girlfriend eats a lot and still eats more, she’s an angel. 😀 Eats a ‘lot’. I should get an award for puns).
- But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:
Before Lot or the Angels lay down, the people of Sodom (both old and young) surrounded the house
- and they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? Bring them out unto us, that we may know them.
And they asked for the ‘men’ that came to see lot. They saw men (as said in Gen 18) while lot saw angels. The men of Sodom wanted to have sexual relations with these ‘men’
- And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,
And Lot opened the door, went out and locked the door behind him…
- and said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.
Brothers, please do not be wicked enough to do this.
- Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.
Take my two virgin daughters and do as you wish with them, but not these men, because they are in my house.
- And they said, Stand back. And they said again, this one fellow came in to sojourn, and he will needs be a judge: now will we deal worse with thee than with them. And they pressed sore upon the man, even Lot, and came near to break the door.
You that came as a foreigner is now acting like a judge. We will do worse to you than to those two men. And they manhandled Lot and came further to break the door.
- But the men put forth their hand, and pulled Lot into the house to them, and shut to the door.
The angels as men, now opened the door and pulled Lot in.
- And they smote the men that were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great: so that they wearied themselves to find the door.
After pulling in Lot, they pronounced blindness upon all those who were at the door and it was so (it could have also meant that there was a flash of light that got the men stunned). The men outside then couldn’t find the door because they were blind.
- And the men said unto Lot, Hast thou here any besides? son-in-law, and thy sons, and thy daughters, and whatsoever thou hast in the city, bring them out of this place:
And the men told Lot to get all his people and properties that they may leave Sodom
- For we will destroy this place, because the cry of them is waxen great before the face of the Lord; and the Lord hath sent us to destroy it.
Because they were sent to destroy the city (establishing the fact that God couldn’t find 10 righteous persons in the whole city)
- And Lot went out, and spake unto his sons-in-law, which married his daughters, and said, Up, get you out of this place; for the Lord will destroy this city. But he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons-in-law.
Lot then went and informed his sons-in-law and told them to be set to leave for the city would be destroyed and for some reason they thought he was joking (I mean, think about it. They can’t be blamed).
*I learnt something early this year, and to keep it simple i’d just say ‘when God tells you to do something, act spontaeneously*
- And when the morning arose, then the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters, which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city.
In the morning, the angels told Lot to take his wife and daughters or else he would be consumed (remember that they told him to take his property – all that he had, the previous day, but he had wasted time and now they told him to get just his wife and daughters)
- And while he lingered, the men laid hold upon his hand, and upon the hand of his wife, and upon the hand of his two daughters; the Lord being merciful unto him: and they brought him forth, and set him without the city.
When he was still sluggish, the angels (two of them) took hand of lot, wife, daughter 1 and daughter 2. And their hands were full. Sorry for the inlaws (and Lots possessions). If only they had acted fast enough.
- And it came to pass, when they had brought them forth abroad, that he said, Escape for thy life ; look not behind thee, neither stay thou in all the plain ; escape to the mountain, lest thou be consumed.
- And Lot said unto them, Oh, not so, my Lord :
- behold now, thy servant hath found grace in thy sight, and thou hast magnified thy mercy, which thou hast showed unto me in saving my life; and I cannot escape to the mountain, lest some evil take me, and I die:
- behold now, this city is near to flee unto, and it is a little one: O, let me escape thither, (is it not a little one ?) and my soul shall live.
On bringing them forth, the Angels said, run for your life, DO NOT LOOK BACK and do not stay here. Go to the mountains because if you stay here, you will be consumed. The destruction of the city would be so intense that it would affect where they were. And Lot –surprisingly- told the angels……nah nah, if I go to the mountains, some evil will take me and I will die, but for you to come to save me, it means that I have found favour and mercy in your sight and for that sake, let me go to this nearby city, and I will be fine (I don’t know how Lot thought it possible that they would go through all that trouble to save him just to send him to a place of his demise in the end).
- And he said unto him, See, I have accepted thee concerning this thing also, that I will not overthrow this city, for the which thou hast spoken.
See, I have accepted what you said. I will nto destroy that city because you are going there
- Haste thee, escape thither ; for I cannot do any thing till thou be come thither. Therefore the name of the city was called Zoar [little].
Quickly escape there, because I can’t do anything until you get there.
- The sun was risen upon the earth when Lot entered into Zoar.
The sun had risen by the time lot got into the city
- Then the Lord rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven ;
Then it rained brimstone and fire 🙊 (a river of lava basically) on Sodom and Gomorrah.
- and he overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground.
And the cities and its plains were destroyed with the people in it and the trees as well. Adam(humanity) had come to another point of destruction just like in the time of Noah.
- But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt.
But Lot’s wife looked back and boom, the ‘sweetest’ thing happened =)) she became a pillar of salt till this very day. Sweet eh 😀
- And Abraham gat up early in the morning to the place where he stood before the Lord :
Then at dawn, Abraham went to the place where he stood in the way of the Lord
- and he looked toward Sodom and Gomorrah, and toward all the land of the plain, and beheld, and, lo, the smoke of the country went up as the smoke of a furnace.
And he looked towards Sodom and Gomorrah and he saw that the smoke coming from there was like that of fire itself (Abraham would have understood that it meant the Lord didn’t find 10 righteous persons.
- And it came to pass, when God destroyed the cities of the plain, that God remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out of the midst of the overthrow, when he overthrew the cities in the which Lot dwelt.
After the destruction, God remembered Abraham. Same way He remembered Nnoah after the destruction. Then God sent Lot out of the city he was in, that it may be destroyed as well. It was the remembrance of Abraham that saved Lot.
- And Lot went up out of Zoar, and dwelt in the mountain, and his two daughters with him; for he feared to dwell in Zoar: and he dwelt in a cave, he and his two daughters.
Then Lot dwelt in the mountains (where he was supposed to be before). He just h=gave himself double journey. Then he dwelt in a cave.
- And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth :
Then daughter 1 said to daughter 2, daddy is old and there are no more men (they had probably heard the story of Noah and assumed that the fire destroyed everyone on earth as well)
- come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.
Let us get him drunk and have sexual relations with him so that he may have seed. While the people of Sodom engaged in/were willing to engage in homosexual relations, theirs was incest.
- And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
And when they got him drunk, daughter1 –who was a virgin- lay with him. She lost her virginity to her father. Thanks to wine. Just like Noah, after the destruction, he had wine. He knew it was wine before drinking o.
- And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also ; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.
- And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
Then daughter 1, displaying the spirit of Lamech, told daughter 2 of her acts and told her to go in with her father, and the same order repeated itself. Thanks to woman AGAIN, like Adam, Lot ended up naked, but with his own daughters. Interesting cycle.
- Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father.
They both got pregnant by their father. Fertile man
- And the firstborn bare a son, and called his name Moab: the same is the father of the Moabites unto this day.
Daughter 1 had Moab (through our father)– the father of Moabites till date
- And the younger, she also bare a son, and called his name Ben-ammi: the same is the father of the children of Ammon unto this day.
Daughter 2 had Ben-ammi (son of my kin)– father of ammonites till date.