- And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.
God then appeared to Abram after the covenant. This was God’s requirement for Abram. Just walk before me and be perfect. Walk faithfully and be blameless.
- And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.
And I will establish my covenant with you and you will be multiplied.
- And Abram fell on his face : and God talked with him, saying,
Abram went down and covered his face and God spoke with him…
- As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.
My covenant is with you. You will be a father of several nations.
- Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham [father of a great multitude]; for a father of many nations have I made thee.
From today, you cease being Abram (father) but you are now Abraham (father of many)
- And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee.
You will be very fruitful. Nations and kings will come out of you.
- And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee and to thy seed after thee.
I will establish an everlasting covenant with you and those who come out of you. I will be your God and theirs as well.
- And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.
I will give to them all the places where you were a stranger and even Canaan.
- And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations.
Keep my covenant therefore. (We need to understand that the key to the covenant as highlighted is to walk before God and be perfect)
- This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; every man child among you shall be circumcised.
This is the requirement of the covenant…every male child will be circumcised
- And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.
You shall circumcise the flesh of the forefront of the male organ and it shall be a token of the covenant between me and you.
- And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.
- He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.
Once a male baby is 8days old, circumcision should occur, whether he is yours or not. As long as he is born in your house or bought with money he should be circumcised.
- And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.
Anyone who is uncircumcised has broken my covenant and he shall be cut off from his people.
- And God said unto Abraham, As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai, but Sarah [princess] shall her name be.
From today, Sarai becomes Sarah (Princess)
- And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her.
I will bless Sarah and give you a son from her and she will be a mother of nations and kings will come out of her.
- Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is a hundred years old? And shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?
Then Abraham laughed (God must have felt bad). Can I still have a child at 100 even Sarah that is 90 is incapable of child birth at this age (who is the judge of that?)
- And Abraham said unto God, O that Ishmael might live before thee!
See, God, let Ishmael live before you – and under your blessing.
- And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.
Well, regardless, you will bear a son and call him Isaac (laughter) and I will have an everlasting covenant with him and those from him.
- And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation.
I have heard what you said concerning Ishmael. I have blessed him already. He will be fruitful and will be multiplied and shall bear 12 princes/rulers and he will be a great nation.
- But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year.
I will establish my covenant with Isaac who will be born to you by this time next year.
- And he left off talking with him, and God went up from Abraham.
Then God went up.
- And Abraham took Ishmael his son, and all that were born in his house, and all that were bought with his money, every male among the men of Abraham’s house; and circumcised the flesh of their foreskin in the selfsame day, as God had said unto him.
- And Abraham was ninety years old and nine, when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.
- And Ishmael his son was thirteen years old, when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.
- In the selfsame day was Abraham circumcised, and Ishmael his son.
- And all the men of his house, born in the house, and bought with money of the stranger, were circumcised with him
Then Abraham circumcised Ishmael and all those born in his house and bought with money. Abraham and Ishmael were both circumcised on the same day. Abraham was 99 and Ishmael was 13.