- And it came to pass in the days of Amraphel king of Shinar, Arioch king of Ellasar, Chedorlaomer king of Elam, and Tidal king of nations;
And then it happened, the kings mentioned above formed an Alliance-1
- that these made war with Bera king of Sodom, and with Birsha king of Gomorrah, Shinab king of Admah, and Shemeber king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela, which is Zoar.
And they fought against these kings mentioned here who had formed an Alliance-2
- All these were joined together in the vale of Siddim, which is the salt sea.
- Twelve years they served Chedorlaomer, and in the thirteenth year they rebelled.
They had all served under Chedorlaomer for 12years and they rebelled the next year after that.
- And in the fourteenth year came Chedorlaomer, and the kings that were with him, and smote the Rephaim in Ashteroth-karnaim, and the Zuzim in Ham, and the Emim in Shaveh Kiriathaim,
- And the Horites in their mount Seir, unto El-paran, which is by the wilderness.
- And they returned, and came to En-mishpat, which is Kadesh, and smote all the country of the Amalekites, and also the Amorites, that dwelt in Hazezon-tamar.
In the 14th year, Alliance-1 out of anger, went on a rage and were smiting all who came in their path.
- And there went out the king of Sodom, and the king of Gomorrah, and the king of Admah, and the king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela, (the same is Zoar 😉 and they joined battle with them in the vale of Siddim;
- With Chedorlaomer the king of Elam, and with Tidal king of nations, and Amraphel king of Shinar, and Arioch king of Ellasar; four kings with five.
Now Alliance-2 went to battle Alliance-1 once again. Four kings against Five.
- And the vale of Siddim was full of slime pits; and the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah fled, and fell there; and they that remained fled to the mountain.
And the valley of siddim was full of floor traps and when trying to escape, the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah fell in to the pits while all that was left of Alliance-2 fled to the mountain.
- And they took all the goods of Sodom and Gomorrah, and all their victuals, and went their way.
- And they took Lot, Abram’s brother’s son, who dwelt in Sodom, and his goods, and departed.
Then Alliance-1 took all that was in Sodom and Gomorrah and while doing so, they took lot and his goods as well.
- And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew; for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner: and these were confederate with Abram.
One of lots men escaped and ran to Abram to let him in on the situation, and Abram was still in mamre –where he had been for a while.
- And when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed his trained servants, born in his own house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued them unto Dan.
As he was told, he gathered 318 trained men and armed them to pursue. And they pursued.
- And he divided himself against them, he and his servants, by night, and smote them, and pursued them unto Hobah, which is on the left hand of Damascus.
He divided them into groups and they attacked by night
- And he brought back all the goods, and also brought again his brother Lot, and his goods, and the women also, and the people.
And Abram brought back Lot and even brought back more than what was taken from Lot.
- And the king of Sodom went out to meet him, after his return from the slaughter of Chedorlaomer and of the kings that were with him, at the valley of Shaveh, which is the king’s dale.
Abraham and his men ALONE (in addition to Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre), slaughtered the whole of Alliance-1 (4 kings)just because they laid hands on Lot. Then he was approached by the King of Sodom.
- And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
- And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
- And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
A king who was also a priest of God came and blessed Abram and he was given tithes by Abram. Abram was now talking with Kings.
- And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself.
The King of Sodom then asked Abram to give him his persons while Abram can keep the goods –considering that it was Abram that pursued and overtook.
- And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lifted up mine hand unto the Lord, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,
- that I will not take from a thread even to a shoe-latchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:
Abram then said I have told/sworn-to God that I will not take not even a thread from you, so in future you do not say I am rich because of the spoil of today.
- Save only that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.
The only thing I will take is an equivalent of what my men have eaten and for those who went by my side in the battle.