- And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.
The whole earth spoke the same language.
- And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.
When they were journeying and trying to spread further, they found plain/uninhabited land and they stayed there.
- And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for mortar.
Come let us invent brick, and it was made (similar to the conversation God had in building the earth), this was their first major invention.
- And they said, Go to, let us build us a city, and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
Now that we’ve made brick, let us put it to use. Let us build a city, then a tower in this city that would get to the dwelling place of the gods (thereby making us gods as well) this shows the nature of Adam/Humanity of wanting to be like God. And let us make a name. It’s our best bet of not being randomly scattered abroad. Then they started building…
- And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
And God came down (like in the days of Adam) to check on their work.
- And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
And God went back to his usual conversation…these people are one and with one language/mind, anything they have decided to do IN THIS STATE (being one and with one language/mind), nothing can restrain them. Nothing can stop them from getting it. They will achieve it because of oneness. Nothing they imagine/think/conceive would be impossible because they are one.
- Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.
Now let us (conversation) go down – after checking on the building, He went elsewhere to discuss and then asked to come down again- and confuse their language
- So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
When the language was confused, it became a barrier till date, and there was no more oneness and they couldn’t achieve that which the wanted to. Then they scattered language group by language group. This was the first mention of other languages and it confirms that the heavens is the author of all languages
- Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.
Babel=confuse/confusion. God made them babble.
- These are the generations of Shem: Shem was a hundred years old, and begat Arphaxad two years after the flood:
- And Shem lived after he begat Arphaxad five hundred years, and begat sons and daughters.
- And Arphaxad lived five and thirty years, and begat Salah:
- And Arphaxad lived after he begat Salah four hundred and three years, and begat sons and daughters.
- And Salah lived thirty years, and begat Eber:
- And Salah lived after he begat Eber four hundred and three years, and begat sons and daughters.
- And Eber lived four and thirty years, and begat Peleg:
- And Eber lived after he begat Peleg four hundred and thirty years, and begat sons and daughters.
- And Peleg lived thirty years, and begat Reu:
- And Peleg lived after he begat Reu two hundred and nine years, and begat sons and daughters.
- And Reu lived two and thirty years, and begat Serug:
- And Reu lived after he begat Serug two hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters.
- And Serug lived thirty years, and begat Nahor:
- And Serug lived after he begat Nahor two hundred years, and begat sons and daughters.
- And Nahor lived nine and twenty years, and begat Terah:
- And Nahor lived after he begat Terah a hundred and nineteen years, and begat sons and daughters.
- And Terah lived seventy years, and begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran
- Now these are the generations of Terah: Terah begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran; and Haran begat Lot.
- And Haran died before his father Terah in the land of his nativity, in Ur of the Chaldees.
- And Abram and Nahor took them wives: the name of Abram’s wife was Sarai; and the name of Nahor’s wife, Milcah, the daughter of Haran, the father of Milcah, and the father of Iscah.
- But Sarai was barren; she had no child.
- And Terah took Abram his son, and Lot the son of Haran his son’s son, and Sarai his daughter-in-law, his son Abram’s wife; and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees, to go into the land of Canaan; and they came unto Haran, and dwelt there.
- And the days of Terah were two hundred and five years: and Terah died in Haran.
We can see the deteriorating life span if man from Noah up till Terah. The word of God had started manifesting gradually.
I have created a tree as well for the verses to show who begat who and all, to bring about ease. See image below.