- And the Lord said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.
And so, God told Noah to come into the ark (the place of safety, assurance, protection) you and your household, because I have seen that YOU – (not anybody else, not your family but you – yourself (Noah)) are righteous before me in this generation (and because of just him, his whole family was included in the saving process.
- Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.
And with you shall you take seven each – of every clean animal, a male and “his” female (meaning that everyone –even beasts- have partners assigned to them), two each – of unclean animals, a male and his female. This means 7males and 7females for clean animals and 2males, 2females for unclean animals. Clean animals are animals that can be used for burnt sacrifise and would be acceptable. unclean animals are those that cannot be used for burnt sacrifise and ar enot acceptable. imagine using a porcupine as a burnt sacrifise.
- Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.
Also, seven each of the birds in the air – male and female, to keep their species alive on earth – to reproduce.
- For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.
After 7 days from today, I will cause it to rain (this shows Gods control over rain – again), forty (40) days and forty (40) nights and all living things shall be destroyed (except the ark and its contents).
- And Noah did according unto all that the Lord commanded him.
And Noah obeyed God.
- ¶ And Noah was six hundred years old when the flood of waters was upon the earth.
Noah was 600 in that very year.
- And Noah went in, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons’ wives with him, into the ark, because of the waters of the flood.
So, Noah and family went into the ark.
- Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of everything that creepeth upon the earth,
- There went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and the female, as God had commanded Noah.
All animals, two (2) by two (2) i.e. male and female (7 sets of clean and 2 sets of unclean), went into the ark.
- And it came to pass after seven days that the waters of the flood were upon the earth.
And Gods word took its stand. After 7 days, the flood began to form.
- ¶ In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.
1 month, 17days after Noah clocked 600, the fountains of the deep were broken up and the windows/floodgates of heaven (sky) were opened. This involved undersea earthquakes which first brought about ocean waves initially. Secondly, it is strongly believed that this is the incident which split the dry land into what we refer to as continents today. Right from Genesis 1:9-10, -all dry land was in one place and God called it earth. We can also see ( 😀 or “sea” – excuse the pun) that metaphorically, heaven has windows.
Also, there are fountains in the deep oceans. It’s one of the reasons why water can never “finish”. It refills itself, and God is in control of it.
- And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.
And this “rain” lasted 40 days and 40 nights – as God said – His word never fails.
- In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah’s wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark;
And that very day, Noah’s whole family went into the ark
- they, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort.
Beasts, cattle, birds of all kind and sorts
- And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life.
They went in 2 by 2 – orderly – flesh which possessed the breath of life.
- And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the Lord shut him in.
They went in as God commanded, and then – God shut Noah in the ark – literally meaning God closed/sealed the ark.
- ¶ And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lifted up above the earth.
The flood began, and the ark rose above the earth – dry land.
- And the waters prevailed, and were increased greatly upon the earth; and the ark went upon the face of the waters.
The waters increased and the ark moved upon the surface of the waters – everywhere was already water anyway.
- And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills that were under the whole heaven, were covered.
Then hills were covered by the water, and the ark sailed even above the hills,
- Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.
Also, all mountains were covered – so, errrr… Mount Everest (that’s the tallest/longest mountain eh?) was covered by water by at least 20-23 feet and the ark sailed above (not within, considering that it’s not a submarine). Mount Everest is about 29,000 feet thereabout and it was covered by at least 20-22 feet by water and the ark was just chilling on top of it. It was practically moving at the altitude of a plane.
NOTE:* from verse 18, we can see how the ark gradually rose, from dry land, to waters, to above hills and above, mountains and beyond.
If they –Noah and fam – were even that high, how were they able to breathe? The answer is God. He is truly wonderful. He put them there and he care for them and they didn’t run out of food. also, during this period, the sun might not have been visible to them.
Also, as proof, at the top of the highest mountains of the world, sea fossils are usually found. to show that they were once covered by waters
- And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man :
And all flesh on earth died – cattle, creeping things, beasts etc (excluding trees again).
- all in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land,
All who had the breath of life in them (which is everyone)
- And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.
All were destroyed except the ark and its contents. and if you are wondering what happened to fish, well…fountains of the deep would have involved volcanoes as well and as such, the water would be toxic.
- And the waters prevailed upon the earth a hundred and fifty days.
The water remained for 150 days. – it rained for 40 days and 40 nights and the remaining days, the ark was just floating on the water that was left on the earth by the rain.