Firstly, I would advise that you have a quick rundown of Genesis Chapter One. Just pick up your Bible or use an online Bible (e.g: Youversion) and in two minutes, quickly run through it.
Now let’s begin.
- In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
This, without doubt, is quite easy to understand. In some more recent versions, it states “heavenS” meaning – more than one, but in all, it states “the earth” – this one and only earth. “How” it was created wasn’t stated, but by this, we can say that both heaven(s) and the earth are created and owned by God. This verse alone also tell us that God doesn’t reside in heaven. Before He created the heavens, he was definitely somewhere – In the light.
Now, people pose a whole bunch of questions regarding “in the beginning” but its simple. God is the creator of time and space. so, time didnt exist. there was no beginning, day, end, present or anything. it was just plain. no measurement of a day or a week and there was no sun or moon to do that. so it was a kind of unmeasured existence. so, “in the beginning” can be “when ‘time’ first began”. so questions like ‘when was God created’ or similar things cannot even stand.
- And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
The earth was without form (Just the earth, not the heavens. the heavens was set and in place and well organized at that too). So, anyway, Earth was shapeless and empty. “Darkness” was upon the face of the waters. There was literal absence of light. The Spirit of God (Notice that its capitalized) moved/hovered over the waterS (plural) like a bird. Now, this is the first mention of The Spirit of God. And what is His first recorded duty? Moving. And He still does that.
- ¶ And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
Now, while/after the Spirit of God moved round and surveyed everywhere, God himself said “(Let there be) ‘Light’”. Now in the world of the spirit, we can’t fight or do much. The majority of what we have is the ability to speak. That’s why we pray, speak to our problems etc. That’s how things work in the spirit. Simply “speak” and things will begin to happen. Now, there was absence of light, but God said “(let there be) Light”. As we know, light and darkness don’t work/walk together. And light always shines in darkness and darkness hides when there’s light. …and there was Light – there was no delay whatsoever. Where there is darkness, God always puts a form of light. As God spoke, it manifested. Now in this verse, we can identify this “God Said” – Now this depicts God’s ability to speak.
- And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
“And God saw the Light”. He looked upon his creation and then “saw” – which depicts God’s ability to see. “It was good” (although, I prefer “is”). He divided the Light from darkness – this could be to avoid corruption of the light by darkness or any other possible reasons. He looked upon it and saw that it was waaaay too precious to remain on the same palette with darkness and he decided to separate them. And because it is the Word of God, anywhere there’s “Light”, (literal or symbolic), it will always be distinctive from darkness.
- And God called the light “Day”, and the darkness he called “Night”. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
Light is to day as …dark is to night (maybe that’s why evil occur activities at Night). Then the first day passed. (now we know where we get our 24 hours from. Its literally evening and morning= 1day. (also, then, Jewish/Hebrew people began their days in the evening)). – This is the first day
- ¶ And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
“God said” – this comes again, showing the power and authority in the words which proceedeth out of the mouth of God and what these words are capable of accomplishing. Now, “Let there be” “let” also came in verse 3. If you examine the word well, it’s more in a conversation form. You’re with your friends, examining options. Let’s do it like this, let’s get that etc. All in a conversation. The only two personalities mentioned so far have been God and the Spirit. Hence, they were conversing. Now, this verse, makes us understand that the earth was totally full of just water. The Spirit of God hovering over the waters also means hovering over all the earth.
- And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
So, after concluding on it with the Spirit, He now made it. And divided the waters. FROM THE MIDST(MIDDLE) so as the earth was totally full of water, air came forth in the midst of the waters and brought about separation of whar we now know as the clouds and the seas. Even science says clouds are made of water. So we could say this “division” is from the waters above (clouds/sky) and the waters below (seas, rivers, oceans, lakes, etc). and it was so!. (once again, I prefer “is”).
- And God called the firmament Heaven (sky). And the evening and the morning were the second day.
And the firmament was called Sky (some translations state ‘Heaven’). But it’s best to stick with ‘Sky’ because the name ‘heaven’ has already been taken since the first verse. Then another day passed. The second day
- ¶ And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
“God said” – once again. (apparently, God does talk eh). “Let the” (conversation) – waters below – as previously mentioned, – gather together. “Let” the dry land appear. – discussion, then agreement/conclusion, and it was so. It happened again
- And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was
And God named (officially), the dry land “Earth”. Now, even in recent times, people call the floor, soil and ground “earth”. Even in avatar: the last airbender, “earth” is really referring to dry land. Coincidence? I think not. Just like in verse 8, i would like us to stick to dry land/soil as the name ‘earth’ has also been taken since the first verse And he named the gathering of waters “Seas”. “And God saw” – again. A reminder of his ability to see. And it was good (I still prefer “is”)
- And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
“God said”- again. “let”- again. The earth bring forth grass (now we are positive that “earth” in verse 10, refers to soil. 😀 and God said “grass” too. The herb that will yield seed and those very seeds yielded which will bring forth trees and those very trees which will bring forth fruit. Wonderful divine order. He likes the fact that everything he made was ”good” (it still is)
- And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind : and God saw that it was good
Hehehehehe. I love this. “and the earth brought forth grass”, which means the earth listens to orders from God, and it ‘was good”.
- And the evening and the morning were the third day.
And the third day passed. It seems every day with God is a day of newness of good things and miracles.
- ¶ And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
“God said” once again, – there’s a lot of authority in these words. “let there be LightS” – meaning more than one. “Let”- the conversation also continues. To divide/separate the day from the night. We can identify from previous verses that “Light(s)” bring about a lot of positive separations. Let them be for signs, seasons, days and years….this means, full moon, half moon, crystal moon, everything is ordained by God and they follow his orders even till date.
- And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
They should be in the sky/clouds. And the conversation continues…
- And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
The God made. Once again, after concluding, two “GREAT/big” lights. The word “great” in this verse is a word that no version of the Bible can completely take away. One to rule the day and one to rule the Night. He made the stars also. (a portion of this for future reference is symbolic. Our modern ‘stars” God makes stars. No one else does) He made them all. Mind you, this part of creation isn’t word of mouth. God actually made/crafted them with his hands. And they still exist till date. That’s some creation.
- And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
He “set” them. Using his hands I presume. He fixed them into their spots so they can give light to the earth (the planet, dry land and the soil).
- And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was
Once again, the separation of light from darkness. Those two can never work/walk together. One is for the day, One is for the night and but both are to separate light from darkness. They are extremes. It is the standard way of things. And God saw it was good (and still is)
- And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
Then the fourth day passed.
- ¶ And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
And God said –again, “let” “the waters” –not specifying whether waters above or waters below. So we will take it as both, be filled with an “ABUNDANCE” of “LIVING” (that has life) creatures. Take note of those two words. Then fowl/birds to fly above the earth. So you can see, he did speak of both waters. Seas and clouds.
- And God created great whales (all large sea creatures), and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was Good
After concluding once again, God created “great” whales/(sea creatures) and every “LIVING” thing that moveth. Following this, we could say that God saw the future of technology that’s why he added “LIVING” because tons of lifeless things move around today. But all “living” are created by him.
- And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.
The last verse ended with “it was good”. Now because it was good, God blessed them here. Which means be good – nothing less than good – and God will bless you. And he said “be fruitful and multiply (be fertile and productive)– this means increase, growth, manifold etc. Similar to verse 11. Instructions for each creation. when you’re fruitful you multiply, it shows abundance and living also.
- And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
The fifth day passed.
- ¶ And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
God said – let the earth bring forth (both dry land and soil -cattle from dry land, creeping things from both dry land and soil)… … and it was so.
- And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and everything that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good
After concluding, they were made. Even everything that creeps – squirrels, mice, insects and all. And God saw that it was good.
- ¶ And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
And God said (like the 100th time) – let us “make” man (not speech again, actual crafting) in our image and so far, we can see that God speaks, sees, makes/creates, brings up ideas, gives life, makes good things, works, is creative, full of wonders etc. That’s the image we are familiar with so far in all previous verses. Then according to our likness – let man be like us and “lets” give them everything we have made (except the Heavens of course) “Let man have DOMINION” ( J ) – control, sovereignty. This is another thing God wants for us – over everything that had been made so far (except the lights and waters themselves). We cannot just create the birds and animals and leave them to themselves…so let us have someone in charge…man.
- So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
After concluding with the Spirit, he then created. Let’s pause for a moment. The only other place the word “created” was used was in Verse 1. All other things were “made”. If you look at everything the earth contains, you can understand that man is a vessel unto great things also. –in the Image of God he created them (theres much more to this verse. Most likely referring to the Spirit. He created man in the image of God) “he created” –Repetition. A word that appeared once before now comes again. Male and Female he “created” them. –once again, the use of the word. And this identifies the created genders. – and we should also understand how important we are because of the use of the word.
- And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
The God blessed them. What did I say earlier in Verse 22?. When you’re “Good”, God will bless you. So because they were/are good, God blessed them. And then he said – be fruitful –now this command goes straight to us humans – created in Gods image. as earlier mentioned it also means to be full of abundance and life. God is fruitful. See all he did in a few days. And multiply – increase. As he has demonstrated for us.
- And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed ; to you it shall be for meat.
And God said (101st time) – Actually the 9th or 10th, “see” (since man now has the ability to see). Also “see” is practically like “Look at me” – “never forget this, I have given you aaaaalll of this. It will forever be yours”. …”it is your food”. So, food originally meant herbs, seeds, vegetables and fruits. Also, “for meat” – another way to look at this is that herbs and fruits were to represent literal meat. usually, food in general is mostly referred to as “Bread”. In modern times, science has proved how vital meat is to growth, strength and other factors (as long as it’s not in excess). Vegetarian diet then was equivalent to meat as seen in this verse.
- And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to everything that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
Then to the beasts, I have given them their own herbs – for food (probably so there won’t be any controversy on whose meal is for who) so, :s If there were lions, they woulda probably eaten herbs and fruits too. How wonderful.
- And God saw everything that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
God saw everything he had made and “BEHOLD/INDEED” it was “VERY GOOD”. We are all beyond Good. And the 6th day passed.
Let me know how you feel in the comment box and if there’s anything more that’s being missed out so we can add to it.
Thank you. God bless.